Last Friday, CLC students, staff, and Tea Time volunteers participated in a community clean-up activity organized by Eco-Quartier NDG. We did this activity in honour of Earth Day which is celebrated every year on April 22. The message of Earth Day is to be kinder to our environment and our one and only precious planet. Of course, actions speak louder than words.
Our guest from Eco-Quartier, Nazmus, took the time to explain safety procedures when picking up garbage in the neighbourhood. We then put our Eco-Quartier shirts on and got right to work! After two hours, we had picked up over 6 full bags of garbage. 6! It was an amazing accomplishment and everyone was beaming with pride. It really felt great to give back to the community.
Little gestures can make a big difference in our lives. In order to reduce your impact on the environment, here are seven helpful tips from CLC English students:
1) Try to consume local foodstuffs. It’s good for not only your health but also the environment. Bulk produce consumes a lot of energy and transportation of stuff consumes energy.
2) Try to walk or ride on a bicycle instead of driving. It’s good for preventing the air from getting dirty and you can save money.
3) Turn off the light if you don’t use it!
4) Reuse your bottles. Refill water bottles and use them again.
5) Don’t keep the water running while we are brushing our teeth!
6) Always keep the plastic shopping bags and reuse them in other ways.
7) Before we want to buy something, always think about it. Is this thing necessary or not?
You can do it! We can all make changes. We just have to change our attitude.
What will you do to reduce your impact on the environment? Let us know in the comments below. 🙂